Wednesday, February 20, 2008

You're a Damn Liar!

There might be a few of you out there that read my first post and were like, "Whoa whoa whoa. This guy's talking about changing his life and wanting to do something big before he chains himself to a desk forever but his blog is named Hike4Autism. He's messing with my head and I don't like it!"

Actually, nobody has said that because at this point, nobody knows that the site is here. I figure I'll make a few posts before I tell anyone about it, that way when people do start coming (knock on wood) they have a few things to get them hooked (knock on wood) instead of seeing one post and thinking, "Only one? That's bush league." And then leaving never to return.

So, if you did have some form of conflict resembling the one described above, then let me do a little clarification. I am hiking to go away and have some adventure and get some clarity. But, in the course of planning it out and thinking it over, I figured that just going was a little selfish. Maybe selfish is the wrong word. I felt that if I was going to go and keep a blog so people could read about my trip and follow me as I go, why wouldn't I use that to do something for people in need? Hence the title - Hike4Autism.

Why autism, you ask? The simple answer is that I kind of just picked it. The longer answer...well it's just a little longer. Sometimes it seems like everyone either knows someone with autism, or knows of someone with autism. It seems to affect so many individuals in so many ways, and yet nobody can say with any type of certainty why it afflicts people in the first place. So I think that deserves some attention and I hope that this blog can bring a bit to it.

My goal is to raise $5,000 by the time I return home in October, so let's see if we can make it happen. Don't make me look bad!

No comments: