Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Starry Sky

(Tuesday June 3, 2008)

I got up at 2:53 in the morning to pee and I just ended up staring at the sky for about five minutes (I peed of course).

I pop a boner about everything out here, and I say I've never seen anything like this and that, so I can understand if it starts to sound tired after a while, but I swear this trail just ceases to amaze me.

The desert sky at night was an amazingly beautiful thing, stars as far as the eye can see, full constellations like you can't make out back east.

But this sky was something else. It was like a jeweler meticulously arranged a truck load of diamonds onto the deepest navy blue cloth in creation.

There weren't as many stars visible as in the desert, but they were twinkling so bright and I stared for so long that I started to lose my depth perception and it felt like I was hallucinating.

Crazy thing is Kennedy Meadows is at 6000 feet. In 40 miles I'll be up over 10,000. Can't wait to see what the sky looks like then.

No comments: