Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Case of the Giggles

The day we hiked over Carson Pass and then into Echo Lake, I had the giggles. This happened once before when I kept reciting the whale's vagina scene from Anchorman to myself and couldn't stop laughing for about 20 minutes.
That day it all started when Slider and I came up behind another hiker who very well might have been using the bottom of a dumpster as his tent. You could catch his horrible scent from 25 yards away.
Slider and I try to stop at a lake for lunch everyday to go swimming, so when I brought up our prospects for lunch that day he says, "We should bring that guy with us and throw him in, and his clothes too." And from that moment, everything seemed to bring a burst of laughter out of me. Especially so when I thought about the guy's elbows which were so ashy it looked like he had been erasering chalkboards with them.
It wasn't long before things started getting ridiculous. The height of lunacy for the day - I thought it would be really funny if you worked in a restaurant and when someone ordered a meatball sandwich you give them a horse poop sandwich instead.
I must have laughed on and off for a few hours about that (by the way I was just laughing really hard about that again...still going).
I remember once during my sophomore year of college laughing about an unfunny joke I made up for about 20-30 minutes straight, to the point that I couldn't even tell it to my old roommate Matt Lewis. Everytime I got to the punch line I'd start giggling and chuckling uncontrollably, getting myself under control, letting out a "Whew!" and then get all the way back to the punchline before repeating the cycle.
A small amount of background: I ran with a guy named Dave Masse (rhymes with Lassie) in college and for the most part we called him Masse.
The joke: What do you call Masse after he's had a lot of beans?
Sorry, I'm laughing too hard to write the punchline.

No comments: