Friday, April 25, 2008

Time of My Life

"Life sucks and then you die. You go all through life and then you get hit by a fucking bus." Or so says my mom after her heart fluttered picturing herself and Patrick Swayze Dirty Dancing together at a mountain resort in upstate New York in the early 1960s.

While fanning herself, her dream was interrupted by the realization that such a reality may never come to pass due to Mr. Swayze's unfortunate bout with pancreatic cancer. And thus the basis for her pessimistic statement about human existence.

In a way, I think the same thing. We're born, we live, we die. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean it's not good that The Swaze has a life-threatening illness, but you can't say that he didn't lead a good life while he was here. I mean the guy can act, dance, sing (She's Like the Wind still makes this guy's pants fall off at an alarming pace), was a stud in his heyday and world famous. So when the topic of his cancer came up, my mom thought of the "fucking bus," but I didn't see it that way.

My mom is right though in that a bus could just come along and run you over, or a badger could target you in a woodland killing spree, or you feel the need to defy reason and try and beat Jumanji.

Alot of people have asked me if I'm scared or nervous and aside from some anxiety over whether I left something important at home, I'm not really at all. People worry about bears and cougars, and I'll do my best not get eaten but if it's my turn to go, it's my turn. And like The Swaze has Dirty Dancing and Ghost, I'll have the PCT.

But I wouldn't have the PCT without the help and encouragement of my friends and family. I know that my decision wasn't received well initially, but in time everyone in my life came to see how important going on the hike was to me and offered words of encouragement and support right up until I left.

My family really took to Hike4Autism and at this point it feels like they've done more to promote it than I have, so an extra special thanks and an I love you to Madre and Padre, Young Z and the Useless Dean.

I also want to say thanks to Kile Garguilo for driving me to the airport at 4am. He works in the upper reaches of the Comcast Center (Philadelphia's first green skyscraper) with a nice view of City Hall, loves gardening and is a homeowner. Grab this one ladies before he gets away!

It would be infinitely more difficult (not to mention very infrequent) for me to post these stories to my blog without Joe Mohne and Andre Laboy who have agreed to handle the emails I'm writing while out blazing trails.

I could thank many more people specifically but I'd hate to leave someone out, so just know that I appreciate all of the support and help of everyone. It took a lot to get me here and you really eased my path.

Alright Minions, we're in the air and this thing isn't even supposed to be on (at least the FAA's investigation will be short) so syonara and I'll talk to you from the Golden State soon.

No comments: