Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So Where Are You Sleeping Tonight?

(Monday July 28, 2008)
So Where Are You Sleeping Tonight?
I am camped illegaly on the Rim of Crater Lake with nine other hikers and I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world right now. The cliffs on the lake were a beautiful shade of purple a little bit ago; the water looks so calm and flat and huge and deep blue; the sunset went through so many gorgeous phases, highlighting the smoke in the air, then shining right through it making the sky look like a big bruise, then a tropical drink and now just a smudge of pink highlighter. The temperature is nice and chilly, a good breeze is keeping the mosquitos away and keeping my tent nice and fresh. I got a good pitch on my tent so it feels super spacious, like the cage my parents used to lock me in when I was bad.

Actually, I would trade this for one thing, trading up I guess you would call it - Yulia, the eastern European cashier working here at the park climbs in here with me and says simple phrases in her hot accent:

"You like more bread, yes?"
"Exit is on the right."
"Green mean go. Red mean stop. Take me now."
"My horse, his name is Clyde."
"You hike all the way from Mexico?"
"Dirty American hiker."
"Sexy American hiker."

No comments: